If you sign up to online dating always think about safety first:
- Consider who else may use the site. If it is a free app or site, then there are no filters or checks. Beware, predators fish in free fishing holes.
- Choose a username without your surname and keep your contact details private.
- Set up a new e-mail account for dating.
- Take your time before meeting someone.
- Research them and do your due diligence. Ask questions.
- Corroborate and check they are who they say they are. You would do research if you were buying a house and investing emotionally in someone is the biggest decision that you will make, along with throwing your genes in the gene pool with someone. This binds you together forever. Take it just as seriously, if not more so.
- Limit the amount of personal information you post on line.
- Meet in a neutral and safe place.
- Bide your time before sharing home or work addresses.
- Delay meeting or being dropped off at significant address.
- Listen on a date, how much conversation is about you and how much is about them?
Report abuse or unacceptable behaviour.
- Feel pressured into doing anything that you do not want to do.
- Drink too much alcohol – if you are serious about dating, treat it as an interview.
- Share any intimate pictures.
- Respond to requests for money.
- Be slow when you invite people into your life and be quick to eject them when you sense something is wrong.
- When someone shows you who they are the first time, believe them.
- Always, always trust your instinct.